Classic of the Falling Leaves – Gravel Ride from London
Consider it a counterpoint to our now nearly legendary Strade Bianche di Essex ride, it’s both similar in idea and execution (on and off road, some gravely bits, a few muddy bits) and in this case a similar route but run in reverse! Several people have said that ride was the highlight of their year (!) and we’d hope to get about 50+ people for this ride depending on the weather. Club members and members of other (or no) clubs are very welcome.
It’s around 100km with stops at Blackmore (coffee and the co-op) and cafe stop in Ongar. You can do this on whatever bike you like, it should be quite possible on a road bike.
As before, this is a self-supported reliability ride, there is no mandatory route, no signposts, no broom wagon and it’s very much not a race. You don’t need to pay, you don’t need to sign up, just turn up with your bike, yout mates and your kit and go for a ride. If you get lost at any time, don’t call the shop, just get un-lost and enjoy the ride!
Some details in bullet point format because, that always makes things better.
- Around 100km long
- Mixture of on and off road. Gravel or CX bikes recommended. Probably passable on a road bike for the most part, I will try and highlight bits that are not.
- Leave 8am from Hub Velo, cafe open from 7.30am.
- Route will be published on RideWithGPS when it’s checked later this week.
- I’ll also do a shorter and a more roady version.
- The route back comes through lots of epic singletrack through Epping Forest, if you’re knackered or on a road bike, you might want to miss this bit out.
- Recommended stops at Blackmore (quick stop, go to the co-op etc) and Ongar (for cafe stop). Arrivee at Hub Velo.
- It’ll take you at least 5 hours
- Bring your buddies, it’s not a big group ride, it’s not a lead ride, you will need your own navigation. Do not expect to be able to turn up and just follow someone around.
- Go at your own pace, enjoy it.
- If you’ve got any questions, the best place to post them is in the Facebook event – https://www.facebook.com/events/285044609016068/
See you all out on (and off) the road!