Strade Bianche Di Essex 2018 – Hub Velo Big Ride Out, March 3rd
Hub Velo are proud to present the Strade Bianche Di Essex 2018. A free 100km ride out from our bike shop and cafe in Clapton. An homage to the other Strade Bianche (which takes place on the same day), the main difference being that ours is in Essex rather than Tuscany, and that ours isn’t a race but does have a cake stop.
After the success of last years’ event where we had about 95 people, we’re re-running again this year! Leaving at 9am from Hub Vélo HQ, we’re going on a road bike suitable ride around the lanes and farm tracks of Essex, and should be back, a little dirtier, in time to watch the climax of the ‘other’ Strade Bianche on Eurosport in the early afternoon. Think of it as a mini-free sportive.
The ride will be about 100km, and is open to all. It is friendly, unsupported, not lead, and very much not a race. You will need a method of navigation as there are no navigation signs on the route. Grab your buddies, or make some new ones and enjoy the ride!
There will be two versions of the route provided. Both should be (and have been) passed on a road bike. Both have large sections of beautiful gravel roads. The more roady version avoids a few sections of potential mud (particularly in the event of wet weather). Both are about 95% the same. Pick the one depending on your bike, mood and sense of adventure!
Please join us afterwards for a well-deserved coffee, cake or snack at Hub Vélo! You can also check out the new Stevens bike range. We will all be watching the other Strade Bianche race live on Eurosport from about 1pm, due to finish around 3pm. (TBC)
Our new shop is just next door to the old one at 217 Lower Clapton Road, Clapton, London, E5 8EG
RegistrationIf you’d like more details, and to give us an idea of numbers, please pop your details below. This means we can email you a GPX track of the route, together with final details!
This is the best way to get the official GPX but details may also be posted on the Facebook Event or the Strava Event page.
- How much does it cost? It’s FREE! Come along and enjoy the ride. Come back afterwards and get a cake and coffee, and watch the race.
- What bike should I bring? The route should be suitable for road bikes on 23mm tyres. If you’ve got a winter bike (and if you’re after a new bike, we’re happy to sell you one!) then that would be ideal. We did our ride last year on a carbon race bike frame with 23mm tyres and it was just fine! You could bring a CX bike if you fancy. Drop bar bikes will be the order of the day for most people. An MTB would be overkill as 80% is on road, but if that’s what you want to bring, then bring it.
- What’s the route? We’re just confirming the route, but it will be around 100km taking in some lanes and byways of Essex. If you want to go a bit shorter, come ride the first bit, or ride to Blackmore and get the train from Shenfield. We will have a GPX for you to download before the event and you should do this as there won’t be signs or people to follow.
- How off road will it be? Mostly on-road (about 80%) with a few gravel bits and small lanes taken at a sensible pace. You’ll be fine!
- What will the pace be? It’s not a race, though there will be some opportunities for you to stretch your legs, or to ride at your own pace with your own friends if you like. As we will be a pretty huge group we won’t all be riding as one, so just ride at the pace you like. Come along and give it a go!
- What should I bring? You should bring your bike (in good repair, if you need a service, you know where to come!), at least two inner tubes, tyre levers, a pump, a snack (first stop is about 50km in) money for food or a taxi, your phone and a jacket or waterproof in case of some interesting weather.
- What if I have a problem? We’ll do our best to help you if we’re out on the road, but this is not a supported ride as such. There is no broom wagon nor free food stations. Bring some money in case you need to get a cab home!
- I have another question! No problem, ask a question on the Facebook Event or pop into the shop for a chat!